Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
How do you guys stay warm? >

How do you guys stay warm?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How do you guys stay warm?

Old 10-19-2009, 09:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

These are all great ideas....for me:

-always keep you hands, face, head, neck warm. A super thin camo face mask($4.96 Walmart), one of your layers should be a turtleneck(keep elemnts off neck), I never wear gloves......a hand warmer in each jacket pocket(just the little 2 pack for .79, last for 5-6 hours)......Do not sweat at all going to your stand. Make sure your boots are not tight....tight equal frozen/cold feet.

Good Luck!
Old 10-20-2009, 04:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

When its real cold I break out my Heater Body Suit! You will never be cold again!

Hatchet Jack
Old 10-20-2009, 05:10 AM
Fork Horn

u need to wear tight underlayers that will stick close to you body, if you clothing is too loose youll lose all ur body heat real quick.......or u can always bring ur girlfriend to keep u warm ;-)
Old 10-20-2009, 05:43 AM
Fork Horn

Layers, UA cold gear, cabelas polar weight MTP long johns the the mock not the crew top, cabelas outerwear the silent suede parka and pants, with a berber windsheer vest under it. camoskin 40gram gloves and full facemask, handwarmer muff with two handwarmers in it, UA fleece stocking cap or a thinsulate heavier one over the facemask, and for the fee liner sock, UA coldgear socks and the 1200 gram cabelas whitetail extreme boots. In the coldest iowa weather 0 degrees or below, I've never been cold, chilled yes, but not cold enough to leave the stand. key is to don't sweat going in no matter what, and move around every 30 min or so starting at the beginning of the set, don't wait until you feel cold to move, its too late then
Old 10-20-2009, 08:45 AM
Fork Horn

Good advice from everyone. The only thing I could add is to know when you're wearing too much on the way into your stand...before you start to sweat. Basic rule I follow is that I should be a little chilly when I'm unloading everything at the truck prior to my walk in. If I'm warm while unloading, I know I'd be hot and sweaty after the walk in, so I take off some layers. Same thing on the walk in; if I find I'm warming up, I take something else off or loosen my jacket, take off my hat for a bit, etc. The key is to stay on the verge of being chilled (but not cold!) during the walk in, because there's no way you can get hot and sweaty that way.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:23 AM
Fork Horn

The biggest mistake is that folks layer up before hiking into the stand....and therefore arrive hot and sweaty.

When you start your hike in you should have just enough on to prevent hypothermia, then by the time you reach your spot you should have warmed up. Then put your layers on and you'll be good to go.

Chemical Hand warmers are also great to have for the real cold days.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:26 AM
Typical Buck

In the past some walks to my stand were over 500 -700 yards. I would walk slow enough to not cause alot of noise, but also if you find yourself breathing through your mouth slow it down or stop and slow your heart down to prevent sweating. Carry your extra winter gear and not wear it.

Get some good hunting boots, and gloves. Once your feet and hands go cold you will be miserable. A simple stocking hat can make there difference for you head as well. I prefer my fleece camo hoodie that keeps my neck, head and ears warm.

I am only 30yrs old and have noticed that the cold sets in so much easier on me now at temps in the high 30's than it did a few yrs ago in the 20's.