HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What's the scariest/wildest/wierdest thing you've ever seen while in your treestand?
Old 10-13-2009, 05:12 PM
BTBowhunter
Giant Nontypical

Scariest: 40 years ago. 12 years old. My first rifle deer season. My dad leaves me on a big old heap of PA boulders and tells me he'll be about 100 yards away about an hour before daylight. As soon as he's 20 steps away something starts to growl under me. I'm afraid to move, yell or turn my light on the noise. I froze and it went on for about a half hour till I satrted sending the old man SOS on my flashlight (still afraid to turn the light toward the growling. Finally, the old man yells at me to put that GD light out and I yell back that somethings under me growling. My caring and sensitive father yells back "load your GD gun and shut up"! I eventually sneak off the rock and then the old man has an attack of conscience and brings me on down closer to his stand. I later learned that it was Raccooons snarling at me. I was apparently blocking a den entrance.

Wildest: I'm bowhunting in suburbia. about 100 yards from a house whose residents have no idea I'm on the next property. The teenage girl and her boyfriend are walking around the backyard hand in hand and then they decide to wander into the woods. They get about 25 yards from my stand and all of a sudden, she stops in front of him and kneels down but it aint so she can pray......

Weirdest: A buddy and I are small game hunting. We just walked in and a gray squirrell darts up a nearby tree and my buddy shoots it. It falls to the ground and seeems to be jumping all around for quite a while. Turns out it fell on a grouse and the grouse is Pissed!. That grouse beat on that dead squirrell for quite a while before it spotted us and flushed. We were laughing so hard that we both missed an easy straightaway!