HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What's the scariest/wildest/wierdest thing you've ever seen while in your treestand?
Old 10-13-2009, 03:07 PM
mrjones
Spike

This story is the God's honest truth. A outfitter that a group of us used to go with every year decides to take our group out to see his recently purchased 276 acre patch of woods. Now, we're hunting the main farm. This is just a "check this place out " noon time between hunts thing to do to kill some time.

Well it's peak rut and there are seven of us including the outfitter in the group. We are all walking in sort of a side by side horizontal line instead of following in a straight line. All at once we hear some loud running coming right at us from behind. We all turn to see a young eight point chasing a hot doe right at us. Our line is kind of strung out and this deer chases this does right between us and they keep going. Now i'm talking about them running only a few feet from us right through the middle of our line!

Ok, your asking what's so wild or scary about that. Well, we're all laughing and what not and we hear another loud noise coming right at us from behind in the same direction the two deer just came and we turn to see this 140 class eight point coming right at us! This deer isn't running fast, he's just kinda jogging along in pursuit of the same doe. I'm on the very end of the line and this buck is headed right at me.

He goes between me and my friend Dave and as he passes us i tell Dave to make that doe bleat with his mouth. Dave doesn't need a can, he sounds just like one. I just wanted to see what the bucks response would be. He stops this big buck dead in it's tracks and it turns and looks at us and starts walking toward me! He's grunting and he's all fuzzed up and he's about 10 feet from me and coming right at me! Man, i was scared sh**less! I backed up and got behind a tree to keep between us and he turned toward the rest of our line of guys and started walking toward them!

This is insane! This buck then just walks between two other guys steps slowly over a log and goes back the way he came! If we would just have had a video camera on us at the time this would have made all of the tv shows! Needless to say, this was the most afraid i have ever been while in the woods and it ranks right up there with a few other things that have scared me in my life. We were locked eye to eye and this deer seemed souless and about to kill me! This is the gospel truth fellas. I've read about people being killed by bucks in the rut and i'm hear to tell you they don't care when they are obsessed with breeding.