HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Anyone ever shoot 3" 00 buckshot with full turkey choke
Old 10-01-2009, 01:02 PM
Hoyt_Viper
Typical Buck

Default Anyone ever shoot 3" 00 buckshot with full turkey choke

I was out with my brother doing some shooting on a non hunted area. I was shooting my muzzleloader and let my brother shoot my deer gun, but I hadnt changed the choke since turkey season (brain fart)!

I had given him a box of 3" 00 buckshot and he was shooting out to about 50 yards and shredding the bullseye with hardly anything outside of a paperplate. I didnt realize until I looked over and noticed the choke and instantly replaced my modified stock choke, and could do anything close with the next 5 shots from same distance.

Does it damage the choke, or would it possibly be doing more harm to the shotgun? I really want to use it during shotgun season if it is not dangerous to the shooter or the gun. I can always spend another $20 on a turkey choke. I looked the choke over and saw nothing that would say it was potentially damaging the turkey choke, I mean after all it is made for heavy shot.

Any opinions, or others who hunt with a full choke, maybe not the x or xx choke?