Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Anyone ever shoot 3" 00 buckshot with full turkey choke >

Anyone ever shoot 3" 00 buckshot with full turkey choke

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Anyone ever shoot 3" 00 buckshot with full turkey choke

Old 10-01-2009, 01:02 PM
Typical Buck

Default Anyone ever shoot 3" 00 buckshot with full turkey choke

I was out with my brother doing some shooting on a non hunted area. I was shooting my muzzleloader and let my brother shoot my deer gun, but I hadnt changed the choke since turkey season (brain fart)!

I had given him a box of 3" 00 buckshot and he was shooting out to about 50 yards and shredding the bullseye with hardly anything outside of a paperplate. I didnt realize until I looked over and noticed the choke and instantly replaced my modified stock choke, and could do anything close with the next 5 shots from same distance.

Does it damage the choke, or would it possibly be doing more harm to the shotgun? I really want to use it during shotgun season if it is not dangerous to the shooter or the gun. I can always spend another $20 on a turkey choke. I looked the choke over and saw nothing that would say it was potentially damaging the turkey choke, I mean after all it is made for heavy shot.

Any opinions, or others who hunt with a full choke, maybe not the x or xx choke?
Old 10-01-2009, 02:23 PM
Fork Horn

I don't think it would.
Turkey loads are usually steel shot,and buck shot are lead(which are softer and squash down going out) the back pressure due to this might be dangerous, but you said he shot a few loads with it in there.The only problem that I can see
would be spreading out the choke(from the inside)and not being able to get the choke out.

So other than that, I bet it felt like a jackhammer!!
Old 10-01-2009, 03:51 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by #1Predator
The only problem that I can see
would be spreading out the choke(from the inside)and not being able to get the choke out.

So other than that, I bet it felt like a jackhammer!!
I didnt shoot it, and the choke came out with ease without any obvious changing of choke. I was thinking a round or 3 wouldnt affect the gun since the tight grouping would give me longer, more accurate shooting since we are unallowed to shoot slugs.
I have 2 other xx turkey chokes so not worried about spreading out the choke.

Just looking at being able to get longer more accurate shooting.