HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Where do you aim?
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2003, 10:54 AM
Rob/PA Bowyer
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Where do you aim?

Ole, Matty ole friend,

don' t be so sure. At 285 fps, I had a buck " jump the string" , duck my arrow at 18 yards. The buck had it' s head down, fore leg forward and I' m thinking, yummmy. I swear I saw the arrow go through it' s lungs at the top of the heart because my arrow replaced my pin...perfect.. and I' m excited...my camera turns to me and say' s you missed.....I said, like hell, it was perfect.....then glassing the animal standing in the field.....hmmmmmmm not exit hole...I' m thinking could my camera man be right......I then watched the film back and sure enough, my arrow was perfect....problem was the deer wasn' t there when the arrow got there...just tuffs of hair from it' s back.....lol Them there animals are fast.

When watching it in slow motion back at the house.....my arrow was perfect at the top of the heart and we watched as the buck dropped out from under it....played it backwards and verified the mark...yup perfect.....

We then shot that buck on video in late muzzleloader season...with a nice scar across it' s back....

This brings up a good tip towards the recovery thread....don' t be so sure of where you think you hit an animal....your eyes can fool you as they did me. Take a pair of binos with you so you can glass the deer, for an exit hole, entrance hole or your arrow on the ground. All these for me, I knew I didn' t have a hit...I glassed my arrow on the ground, it was clean of blood and the video also told the real truth.....

Whitetails can move out on the fastest setups....