Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Where do you aim? >

Where do you aim?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Where do you aim?

Old 08-23-2003, 07:13 AM

Default Where do you aim?

I know many - many of you are well disciplined hunters and know how to call your shots. For the many new bow hunters - this is a must read>

Where do you put your pin just before you squeeze the trigger? While spending several years managing an archery shop - Ive heard it all.

Most people think they need to shoot 300 fps to deer hunt. The fact is if you aim mid lung on a skidish white-tail - he can still jump (actually duck) the arrow. This has a lot to do with bow loudness and how much pressure your deer herd gets. A whitetail can drop 1/3 of his body height in less than 1/10th of a second.

One of the bucks I shot was at 15 yards, hunting out of an 8 ft tripod. HIgh pressure - pre rut. My bow at the time was shooting around 270 fps. The nervous buck was walking across my shooting lane from right to left. He stopped right in the middle of the lane looking over his right shoulder at a doe. Hiss left leg forward. PERFECT! I place the pin an inch above the Xiphoid cartilage right directly behind the where the humerous meets the radius. The arrow actually came out just behind the right sholder and halfway up the body. It came out higher than it went in and I was shooting down hill. NOW THATS FAST!!

I always aim low and behind the shoulder - if the deer does not jump - concrats - you have a heart shot - if he jumps the string - you still got a double lung.

Shoot at the opposite shoulder on quatering away shots. If the deers left shoulder is facing you - aim as if your were trying to shoot thru him to his right shoulder.

Femoral artery, neck shots, frontal shot, Texas heart shots (up the anus) are just not ethical shots. There will always be another day - taking shot like these show a hunters true neglect for wildlife.

Some of you hunters that tree stand hunt - I would like some of yur input on where your place your pin while 20-30 foot up a tree. We dont have any good straight tall tree down here in south Texas.

Old 08-23-2003, 07:29 AM

Default RE: Where do you aim?

I aim just behind the " ELbow" no matter in the the tree or on the ground.
I am not shooting any blistering speeds and I general have seen little action on the deer part...unless its a much older deer they dont come out of that marsh till dark.
Old 08-23-2003, 07:29 AM
Dominant Buck

A lot depends on the downward angle, distance and the deers state of nervousness or total at easeness. I have aimed as low as 2 inches below the belly line on a deer at 18 yards and achieved dead center hits. I' ve also aimed right where I want to hit. It' s a learning process. We all have to miss once or twice to realize what' s going on. I usually aim somewhere in the lower third of an animal broadside.
Old 08-23-2003, 07:35 AM

s.texas,excellent post for any new bowhunter.most of us that have been at it a few years have found out the hard way how to anticipate the string jumper.
Old 08-23-2003, 08:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I usually aim for the dead center of the vitals. However, I have had deer become nervous just as I came to full draw. When I suspect that they are suspicious--and nervous--I adjust my aim point downward to the lowest part of the kill zone. If they drop, they still are usually hit in the kill zone.
Old 08-23-2003, 08:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

excellent thread.....thanks for postin'
Old 08-23-2003, 09:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

WhenI' m getting ready to shoot I' m thinking ......" Top of the Heart" ......." Shoot for the top of the heart" .

This accomplishes 2 things for me.......
#1 It forces me to THINK about a specific place to aim rather than just blanking out and putting the pin in a general area. The old Aim small miss small thing I guess.
and #2 this location gives me a good bit of leeway for error........if I do my part and the deer just stands there then WHACKO!, but if the deer drops a bit within normal shooting distances, that 300fps arrow is still gonna find something good. also if I misjudge yardage a little out to 30 yards either way I will most likely hit vitals.
If I am shooting between 30-40 yards (which I am very confident with), I' ll think " Top of the Heart PLUS a little" When shooting at this range deer are less likely to be spooked into dropping, so I' ll give myself a little extra range estimation cushion by pushing that pin up just an inch or 2.

Works for me.
Old 08-23-2003, 10:43 AM

Good post, I personnally only shoot for doublelung hits, and thats all I' ve gotten so far(4 deer).
Old 08-23-2003, 10:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

Ole, Matty ole friend,

don' t be so sure. At 285 fps, I had a buck " jump the string" , duck my arrow at 18 yards. The buck had it' s head down, fore leg forward and I' m thinking, yummmy. I swear I saw the arrow go through it' s lungs at the top of the heart because my arrow replaced my pin...perfect.. and I' m excited...my camera turns to me and say' s you missed.....I said, like hell, it was perfect.....then glassing the animal standing in the field.....hmmmmmmm not exit hole...I' m thinking could my camera man be right......I then watched the film back and sure enough, my arrow was perfect....problem was the deer wasn' t there when the arrow got there...just tuffs of hair from it' s back.....lol Them there animals are fast.

When watching it in slow motion back at the house.....my arrow was perfect at the top of the heart and we watched as the buck dropped out from under it....played it backwards and verified the mark...yup perfect.....

We then shot that buck on video in late muzzleloader season...with a nice scar across it' s back....

This brings up a good tip towards the recovery thread....don' t be so sure of where you think you hit an animal....your eyes can fool you as they did me. Take a pair of binos with you so you can glass the deer, for an exit hole, entrance hole or your arrow on the ground. All these for me, I knew I didn' t have a hit...I glassed my arrow on the ground, it was clean of blood and the video also told the real truth.....

Whitetails can move out on the fastest setups....
Old 08-23-2003, 12:08 PM
Typical Buck

I prefer my pin in the crease and in the bottom 1/3 of the animal at the front leg and prefer it forward [the near leg that is] when I shoot. From my treestand I will most likely aim a little higher and aim for the opposite front shoulder when possible.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.