HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - No One Needs to Hunt!
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2009, 06:41 PM
turkey guide
Fork Horn

Default killing just to kill?

I must defend timbercruiser here, as killing legally is killing in accordance with biologists decisions that killing a certain amount of deer is needed. If they over kill a couple years they will adjust the season and not allow so many to be killed. This is the right way to handle it and necessary. They monitor how many tags are sold and filled each year. If one man killed 38 deer in one season imagine how overpopulated the deer must be to even see that many. After killing 13 does and 5 big bucks on 400 acres last year I still saw herds of over 20 last winter. Most of them will have fawns this year, and does over 3years old often have twins, so I am sure 13 more does this year will not hurt anything on my land. In fact 13 may not be enough!
In Missouri the number of antlerless deer tags you can buy is unlimitted for this very reason, and they still are not killing enough deer for the biologists to be happy and the herds to be healthy. More people need to kill more does or a few people need to kill thousands of does each. However it works out, as long as it is legal and the meat is feeding hungry people, I trust that the biologists with the Missouri Department of consevation will handle it well. The minimum 4 points on one side of the antlers rule has also forced many people to choose a doe ,as well as produced many more big bucks by allowing small ones to grow. I personally enjoy killing deer, whether it's 1 or 100 does not matter to me. When I'm satisfied that everyone who needs a deer has one or more I stop for the year.
If I had a gripe it would be selfish hunters who only think about killing one huge buck and not doing their duty to help the consevation departments thin the does. This is why some states make you earn a buck by killing one or more does first. And why on my land I ask the paying hunters to help out by killing a few does at no charge.

I agree with Kybuckhunter that no one needs to kill for natures sake but people do need food and my point was, some people, many that I know, do need to kill butcher and eat wildlife because they literally can't suvive any other way. And as he said nature would take care of it's own problems, but what a waste when there are hungry people.

Last edited by turkey guide; 09-25-2009 at 06:55 PM.