HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Stainless vs Blued barrel.
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2009, 06:22 PM
bigbulls
Boone & Crockett

Unless you are hunting in the NW up into Canada and Alaska there is no need what so ever for the extreme protection of the XCR. For a good many years our fathers, grand fathers, great grand fathers, etc... didn't have stainless steel guns and they did just fine. From the deserts to the Alaska coast they did just fine with walnut and blued steel.

Having said that... stainless is more rust resistant. It isn't rust proof. Stainless will rust if neglected, just not as quickly as chrome moly steel. However, the XCR has an additional coating on top of the stainless steel that makes the rifle virtually rust proof.

My question is: are blued barrells more acurate than stainless barrells
Assuming equal quality barrels to begin with a CM barrel is much easier to make accurate than a stainless steel barrel due to it being a softer steel and easier to work with. But the stainless barrel will be more resistant to wear than the CM barrel.

I had a friend drop a few .270 bullets one day. I found them a couple of weeks later after at least three days of rain. There wasn't a bit of rust on them. Why, because they had a stainless steel casing.
Those cases are nickle plated brass. Not stainless steel.