HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 8 vs 10 Pointer. Genetics?
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2009, 04:44 AM
09_bobcat
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Teach Deer
I have a pet hypothesis (pet because I am unaware of any one testing it) that the dominant trait for antlers in deer is an 8-point rack...only with careful management will you see a lot of 10 point bucks (recessive trait), and then only with appropriate age...

I have noticed this hunting big woods whitetails that the majority of bucks killed (even very large bucks) are 8-points. Even most of the non-typicals are based on an 8-point typical frame...

In Texas, where culling 8-points before the rut is common, the only breeding class of deer left will be recessively traited 10 points...which in turn will generally produce deer with 10 points...but you have to hold out for mature deer only...
i like this thought. i will try to get some info on this. i have a few friends in south texas working on their masters at A&M Kingsville. the research they do is performed on a ranch i interned at in south texas.

their management plan was shooting most everything 8 and under at 2.5, because at 3.5 it was typically not going to meet the 145" criteria. this did give them an average of over a 160" deer at 7.5 when they would hunt them.

the good thing about this ranch is that it was 97,000 contiguous acres (low fence). not every where is going to react like south texas where there is such an abundant deer herd but i guess with enough land, a good plan, and well educated hunters, you can do what ever you want with a herd.

this ranch had been managed for 8 years prior to my arrival.