HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - most memorable hunt
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2009, 03:48 PM
razor6570
Fork Horn

Well mine is with my Dad. I started bowhunting at the age of 18. My dad only ever gun hunted. I bowhunted with success for a few years and my dad became interested. He started going to 3D shoots with me and was pretty good. The next year I bought dad a treestand and a new bow. He was going to start hunting that year with me. Dad's work kept him out of the woods in the preseason. So I scouted and found spots for dad and I. The first day came and I took dad to the tree I picked for him. I went up the ridge about 100 yards from him. We were in good spots because the deer either went to him or me if they came in any direction. At least we would see deer. The morning started slowly, no deer until 8am. I seen deer coming to me. There were four bucks in a group and they were all coming to me. There was a real good six point in the group that I planned on taking a shot at. He came within range and I made the shot, right under him! The bucks scattered right towards my dad. I could see the bucks but not dad. All of the sudden there was a crack and the one buck went down in his steps. I couldn't get out of the tree fast enough. When I got to dad, he was shaking like leaf! He said that it was like the first day he ever hunted all over again. He only got a spike with 11 inch spikes but it was a real trophy to us! Dad's first day bowhunting, first day hunting out of a treestand and the first day of archery season. I will never forget it! I am now 33 years old and dad and I still hunt together all the time.