HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Article On NY AR
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2009, 06:33 AM
Steve863
Nontypical Buck

Those ARE the simple facts. I get a kick out of these theories on how AR's will benefit the herd with a better age structure, etc, etc. This is nothing but a bunch of self serving mumbo jumbo and not much else. Anybody who is being totally honest and objective should be able to see this. I have nothing against people who want to shoot big deer, but as I have said numerous times before the DEC has absolutely NO obligation to make it easier for hunters to be able to shoot such deer by implementing AR's. There is no biological evidence that such rules improve the lives of deer so why should they then implement them? The ONLY reason would be to make trophy hunters happy, but I got news for these trophy minded hunters. There are lots of hunters who don't put such emphasis on trophy racks, so why should their chances at an extra deer in the freezer now be curtailed by such rules? They pay the same license fees as anyone else. Even many non-hunters can understand the need for a hunting season to control deer populations or for some people to put meat in the freezer. I highly doubt these same non-hunters would have the same view of the need for a hunting season if they were now told that the DEC is managing the herd so that trophy hunters have a better chance of putting a wall hanger on their walls. What this article also fails to mention is that the DEC in it's final report on this proposed expansion of AR's also admitted that "DEC biologists see no specific management benefit associated with the antler restriction program and do not consider antler restrictions as necessary to improve herd condition". Hopefully this will be the DEC's final opinion on AR's everywhere in the state!

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/55768.html