HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - thompson pa hunter flintlock .50 cal
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2003, 08:38 PM
cayugad
Dominant Buck

Default RE: thompson pa hunter flintlock .50 cal

I am not doubting you Bob.. I just went to Thompson Center' s website to read up on the rifle a little. Whether it has a 1-66 or 1-48 twist, they are both a good twist.

I personally like a .54 caliber rifle, but others will tell you that ammo is hard to find although I have never had that problem in my area. My .54 caliber is a T/C Renegade (older model with the doubled triggers and 1-48 twist).

My Tradition' s Hawkins is a 1-66 twist. Both are excellent rifles. My last purchase was a Green Mountain drop in barrel in .54 caliber with 1-70 twist. This is a round ball shooting master. I just have to decide what charge I want to shoot out of it. I will then turn the 1-48 twist to a conical barrel only and maybe even throw a scope on it for the fun of it. I can use it in Wisconsin during modern rifle season.

I like the Hawkins style rifles. And the fact they have a slow twist and shoot round ball better then most conicals (although some do shoot projectiles other then round ball out of those twists) does not bother me. I found that round ball have taken whitetail out to 80 yards in their tracks without problems.

Good luck on your rifle and your new shooting sport. You are going to love them...