Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 thompson pa hunter flintlock .50 cal >

thompson pa hunter flintlock .50 cal

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

thompson pa hunter flintlock .50 cal

Old 08-21-2003, 04:13 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: thompson pa hunter flintlock .50 cal

The reason I went with the .54 caliber 25+ years ago was because some of the states out west had elk hunting restrictions and would not allow the .50 caliber. I do not think that is the case anymore. Also I bought the T/C Renegade as a kit (for $129.00). It has the double set triggers. To be honest, of the two calibers, I prefer the .54 caliber.

I can prove that a .54 caliber roundball at 80 yards will shoot through one deer and kill a second deer standing behind the first one. Not something I was real proud of, but I had the tags to cover the mistake, and I do mean mistake. I was putting my binoculars aways (using a T/C peep site) before I made my shot (wanted to look at the buck' s horns) and never saw the doe walk up behind the buck when my head was down, putting the glasses away. The round ball went through the first and broke the back of the second and knocked her flat too.

For Elk hunting I load a 426 grain HP Buffalo Bullet on 100 grains of Pyrodex Select, and it will handle that job. Although I have wondered if the 300 grains I make from my LEE mold would do the same job. I guess I will have to find out...

If I were going to choose between a Renegade or a Hawkins made by Thompson Center, I would take the Hawkins. My friend has a Hawkins in .54 caliber and the rifle is much more comfortable to shoot when loaded hot. He also made his from a kit, and that is one of the most beautiful rifles I have had the pleasure to handle and shoot.

I do want to state, my Traditions Woodsman with a 1-66 twist barrel in a .50 caliber is all I need to take a whitetail. What ever Bob chooses, he will be hooked after his first day of shooting them.... yet if I were going to use it for Elk and bear too, I would go with the .54 caliber. You can order any shooting supplies you need through many of the sports catalogs.
Old 08-21-2003, 06:36 PM
Fork Horn

who has websites for greenmountain barrels and williams sites. could not find them on a search. bob
Old 08-21-2003, 06:46 PM
Dominant Buck

www.gmriflebarrel.com should get you to the Green Mountain Barrel Company and they also sell the williams fire sites. They have drop in barrels for the Renegade and Hawkins. There are a lot of things to look at in their catalog. They used to and I think still do make the barrels that you find on the Knight Muzzleloaders. As this board will tell you, Knight in-lines are great shooting rifles.
Old 08-22-2003, 03:14 PM
Fork Horn

hey thanks cayugad, matt / pa, mauser06.[8D] great info. i was at the stores again got good looks at both rifles. i' m going with the hawkens. feels better in my hands then the pa hunter. like the style better. one more question, what is the best powder to use? the pyrodex, black powder, swiss, or elephant? the swiss and elephant are real black powder. but is not around local. i can get pyrodex at wal-mart.[:-] thanks once again for all the info you guys gave. hope to have some pics of some monster deer for ya all.[>:] bob
Old 08-22-2003, 04:05 PM
Dominant Buck

Pyrodex will work just fine. I prefer the Pyrodex Select but the Pyrodex RS works great too. I am guessing that this is a .50 caliber you are getting so I would start out at around 60 grains of powder and work up from there in 5 grain steps until you find the load your rifle likes. The load might be different depending on if you are shooting roundball or conicals. My rifle is different.

For instance my .50 caliber likes 70 grains. My .54 caliber likes 80 grains with roundball. I need 90 grains for the conicals in the .54 to hit in the same spot.

You can buy pre-cut patches for roundball, but if you want to save money and shoot better, while at Wal-Mart go to the fabric section and get a yard of 100% cotton pillow tick cloth. It is around .015 thickness. This will make a great patch. You can cut the material into 2" strips and lube it as you need it, or I soak the strip in 4-1 mixture of water soluable oil and let it dry on a piece of screen outside, laying flat. After you dump in your powder, just lay that over the barrel, set your roundball under the muzzle edge and cut the patch off. This make a more uniform patch and will give you better accuracy in my opinion. Then set the ball as normal.

Getting back to powders, I have been shooting some stuff called Clean Shot. I use it the same a Pyrodex. I have been very pleased with the results of it, and the way it cleans up. In fact I was out knocking pop cans off the fence at 50 yards today with it.

Be sure and swab between shots when sighting in, and in no time at all you will have one excellent hunting rifle. After I got into shooting mine, I got to where I hunted all the time with the smoke pole because it made the hunting that much more fun. Good luck with your new rifle. I will be looking forward for the pictures.
Old 08-23-2003, 10:06 PM
Fork Horn

one more question. does the hawkens come in kit form? if so where can i find the info? found out that local shop i told you about sells goex powder in any grade i need or as much as i need for about $19.00 a pound. and is only 4 miles away. guess i struck gold ( black gold ) i can smeel the powder burning already [>:] come spring i' m thinking of putting on a nice 60% curly grain maple stock. for about $110.00 that is 98% inleted.[8D] will post the pics when done. make sure you guys got your shades on to look at it. [:-] lol
Old 08-24-2003, 10:57 AM
Dominant Buck

Yes the T/C Hawkins comes in kit form. It comes in a .50 caliber and .54 caliber. Both of them have the 1-48 twist. You might have to do a little searching to find the cheapest price. I would start by looking at;
Bass Pro Shop ( www.basspro-shops.com )
Cabela' s ( www.cabelas.com/ )
Dixie Gun Works ( www.dixiegunworks.com )
RMC Sports ( www.rmcsports.com )
and there are many many more out there that have the rifle in kit form. Good luck in your search. I have also seen that some of the people on the board sell rifles, and they will offer a good price perhaps, or point the way to other retailers.
Old 08-25-2003, 05:31 PM
Fork Horn

well guys it a done deal. just put my thompson hawken flint on layaway today at wal-mart. got a real good deal. the rifle i put on layaway was the display. they went to go get me one out of stock and came back and told me that they were out of stock. but had the empty box from the one on display, and asked if i would want that one. looked at the one on display and noticed the price tag on it was $414.00. and i said sure. took it apart put it in the box and on to layaway with it. they rang it up and up came $456.00. i said thats not the price on the box and the tag on the gun in the box.[>:] they over rode the price and gave it to me for $414.00. the one on display was there for about 18 months. so i got last years price because it was marked $414.00.so i think i' m off to a good start.

bob