HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - theft proofing a stand.
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2009, 10:56 AM
deerdust
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by WV Hunter
Unfortunately, the only way to theft proof your stand is to take it home with you. There are plenty of things you can do to deter "most", but if they truly want it, they can probably get it. I hate a thief....scum of the earth. Good luck.
Unfortunately this is the truth. I work for a hunting outfitter, and over the years we have tried to deter thieves from stealing what isn't theirs. What worked best was when we pulled the stands at the end of the season. When we reached the point we were in several states it wasn't economically practical for us to have someone pull stands and then replace them prior to each season. We have over 1000 hanging now. Because it is a business, we have them insured and write off anything that is stolen.

In the past we have also used bike cables with padlocks, but a $30 pair of bolt cutters (that anyone can buy) will get them a new stand. We also tried pulling the climbing sticks, but if they carry their own in, they have a new stand. Maybe what JW said, a cable that has an alarm. But if a tree falls in the woods and no one is there to hear it, does it really make any noise? My best suggestion for you would be a combination bike lock cable. The cable is harder to cut and the combination lock is built onto the cable, so there is no lock that can be cut.