Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
theft proofing a stand. >

theft proofing a stand.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

theft proofing a stand.

Old 09-14-2009, 04:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thats what happen to me. I walked in opening day and there it was sitting eye level on the ground. I know who did it two pot head girls. but no proof. Ran into them later in the season and got a funny story that did not go far in truth. This year it will be locked at all ladder sections and the stand. If it was private land i would use a electric fence gen to stop them but it will be public land
Originally Posted by nybuckboy
I use ladder stands almost exclusively... a few hang ons. I too, have had just the ladder stolen and the padlocked seat section was still there. What I do now is besides a big chaing section and padlocks, I have replaced the clips with bolts on one side. Makes no sense to do both sides b/c if they have a wrench with them it won't be a problem anyway.

NOW, what else I do is I use a dremel tool and grind my name and phone number on the second section step at eye level. Letting someone know who it belongs to somehow keeps them more honest. In fact grind your name/phone # in each each section. That way way in the future you may come across it or the thief may put it up on someones land and the landowner may call you to complain and you might get it back.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Tim - thought you moved?? Anyway, best deterrent is to get back in further than most are willing to go - if that's a possibliity. After that, a heavy chain, a good padlock and engrave your name as mentioned earlier. (Actually this is required on public land here) I left a ladder stand up for 3 weeks on public ground this way and am still the original owner.
Old 09-14-2009, 05:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know what you situation is, but after having 3 sets stolen, I switched to a climber!

It is SOOOOO much better! It won't get stolen, I can set up in a new area quickly, and they are MUCH more comfortable than hang ons and ladder stands!
Old 09-14-2009, 05:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use climbing sticks, detachable steps, a padlock and chain, and finally I have switched to using a climber as much as possible.

Try not to mark the path to your stands with ribbons and things like that which are obvious.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:20 AM
Super Moderator

This is a cable lock put out by Lone Wolf. It is high at $40, but it is also a high quality lock.
http://www.lonewolfstands.com/shoppi...ck__LWCL7.aspx
Old 09-14-2009, 06:59 AM
Typical Buck

Tim, have you ever considered purchasing a climber?
Old 09-14-2009, 07:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

I agree...Go with a climber...

They will tresspass, cut locks, come through on Sunday, whatever they need to do...I've had gates pulled down, crops run over, cables cut, etc...
Old 09-14-2009, 09:00 AM
Spike

If they want it bad enough they'll get it, period.... Unfortunately it's something you change. You can only slow them down.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

My Dad always said "locks are for honest people"... meaning that if a true thief wants it, he's going to get it -- but putting a lock on something will hopefully deter the average passerby who may be tempted but not really carry thievery equipment with them, e.g. a pair of boltcutters.