HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - thompson pa hunter flintlock .50 cal
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2003, 12:49 PM
Matt / PA
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: thompson pa hunter flintlock .50 cal

Bob,
I have that exact gun........well sort of. I spruced mine up a bit with a custom double set trigger, a better touch-hole,unbreakable fiberglass ramrod, and a fiber optic front sight.

First off.....the twist is 1-66" on the " PA Hunter" NOT 1-48" .

Here' s what I found mine to like........(I have to check for sure what size exactly) .015 Pillow ticking patch lubed with T/C Natra Lube 1000 Bore Butter, with a Hornady ball and 100grs of FFg. That' s what I hunted with for years.

Since PA has switched its regs to allow all bullet types I have experimented with a bunch of different types as well as powders.
In spite of the slow rate of twist (1-66" ) designed for roundball shooting ,mine shoots CVA Powerbelts exceptionally well......better than any roundball load I' ve ever used.
I also went with FFFg powder.
My pet load is 95grs of FFFg behind a 295gr CVA Hollow Point Powerbelt bullet.
This gun ( at least mine) seems to really like a " HOT" load. I am getting awesome accuracy with minimal fouling and recoil. And they are really knocking the snot out of the deer I' m shooting.
I liked the " Feel" of using a traditional roundball load, but that light .50 ball can' t compare to these bigger conicals for on game performance.

The factory Touchhole is just too small to offer reliable hunting performance shot after shot......replace it with a bored out aftermarket version.
ALso mine really likes the Premium Agate flints. The T/C Frizzen didn' t like English flints one bit.
Also if you get the urge......work on the trigger or spend $75 and get a Double Set trigger installed. Out of my hunting group 7 of us all shoot this gun and we ALL had Set triggers installed. The factory single trigger is HORRIBLE and I mean HORRIBLE. Mine came from the factory at a touch over 28#......yes 28#!!! I could hold the gun by the trigger alone and bounce it up and down at full cock and it would not go off. [X(] (Unloaded of course)
If you ever hope to shoot a flintlock accurately.......a set trigger is the way to go, unless you can get the factory one down to a " Match grade" # level. There are flintlocks with good single triggers........this isn' t one of them.[:' (]
If it doesn' t surprise you going off you are going to be a basket case with a flintlock' s ignition!