HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Urban Deer Hunting
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2009, 07:22 PM
fastetti
Nontypical Buck

Default Urban Deer Hunting

Got a question for everyone and want to get some opinions. I'd really like to hear from people who have urban deer hunted before.

I have permission from a family friend to bow hunt their backyard if I would like too. The house is a fairly big house in the northen suburbs of Chicago that sits on a one acre lot. To the left of him is 4 other houses, all with about the same size lots and houses. All have big yards and many large trees. To the immediate right of him is a large flood plain that is owned by the county, maybe 60 acres or so, all tall grass with some spots of tress. This area is no trespassing/no hunting and no one really goes in there, all bordered by high fences. Behind the house and his lot is an area around 50 feet wide that backs up to a tall fence that deer cant jump that runs behind all the houses and a wierd piece of public property that no one can access because it is landlocked. All the area in the town around him (Everywhere within 1 mile or so) in incorporated so there is no hunting allowed. For some reason, his house and the four next to him are still unincorporated and no one really knows why, but they still are. In our area (and Im sure most others) you can hunt in any area that is unincorporated but not incorporated.

In a nut shell, there are 4 houses next to him, all about an acre, a 150 yard track of woods/brush that runs behind all the properties that is about 50 ft wide and the flood plain immediately next to him on the other side. He recently asked me if I wanted to hunt it because the deer are destroying his plants and he wants some taken out because there is no other way to get rid of them. I have the OK from the city police (Know the chief) and the OK from the County police (know some high end officers) I also have permission to get the deer out of the flood plain if they go in there from the city. The only worry I have is if the deer don't run into the flood plain after hit and run into someones backyard and croak is getting them out. There are houses across the street (all mansions on large lots) and would hope the deer wouldn't run through someones yard across a street where there are more houses. In a perfect word they would run into the flood plain or down the the 50 ft wide track and die, but what if they don't? Granted I could go around the neighborhood and ask permission from the neighboring houses (I already have permission from his nextdoor neighbor) but this would also let people know that I would be hunting and start some controversy. This is kind of a upperclass neighborhood where people most likely don't hunt.

What do you guys think I should do? Im very good with my bow and shots won't be more than 15 yards 10 yards more likely. There is a 10 ft gap in the fence where the deer come through into his yard from the flood plain and its just ideal for hunting. Perfect funnel, plus there are some monster bucks. I mean, these deer don't know what hunting is and have never seen anything remotely like a hunter before. My hunting spots are gone this year (except one in MI) so I need to be in the woods. Let me know your opinions. Thanks!