HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New to Hunting
Thread: New to Hunting
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2009, 08:31 AM
virginiashadow
Nontypical Buck

First off Sotik, you are in the right spot! I was just like you, a fisherman that got bit by the hunting bug. Do you know if the state requires you to get a hunters education course prior to hunting? If so, that would be the first step in your journey. Also, many of the guys/gals that teach that course will be able to answer many more of your questions.

After/during that process, you need to determine if you want to bowhunt/gunhunt, or crossbow hunt. Then buy a weapon that matches your physical stature/abilities/desires/budget, etc.

Then you MUST practice shooting that weapon until you are confident. Read books, lots of hunting books. Buy them at a used bookstore if necessary. Heck, I could send you some.

You now must find a place to hunt. Public land? Or do you have a person/people that are willing to allow you to hunt on their land? I really hope someone living in CA will see this post and take you out and show you around the woods. If I lived around you I sure would help you out. BEST of luck and ask any question you feel will help you out toward your goal. People will answer them as best they can.

Brett