HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Bolt action vs. Lever action
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2009, 11:15 AM
Mojotex
Nontypical Buck

I have used both actions. I still do. The most accurate lever I have is a Win. 88 in 308 Win. It is about a 2 MOA rifle. I have a Marlin Guide in 444 Marlin that does about 2.5 MOA. I have several bolt actions, the worst of which does about 1.75 MOA and the best is a 6.5x55 Se. that does a wonderful .5 MOA. Far, far better than my skills can manage !!! All of these MOA's are with hand loads I worked up for each.

From my experience with these I own, the levers obviously allow a faster follow up. The Guide Gun I really like for close in hunting such as thick woods where shots will almost never exceed 75 yards. However, my Pro-Hunter "Mountain" in 308 Win. is my choice 95% of the time. It is compact enough for tree stand hunting and does fine for me out to 250 yards, which is a "poke" down this way. When hunting out west, which I seldom do, I take a very accurate 300 Win. Mag. I have, simply because I feel better about taking 400+ yards shots with it. Just less arc to deal with than anything else I have.