HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Need a little help here!
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2009, 12:49 PM
Kathwacckkk
Fork Horn

If you are going to use screw in pegs, bring along a cordless drill with a slightly smaller drill bit then the peg width. Drill the hole first. This will allow your pegs to start easier. Use smaller steps then you think. Bulky clothes in Michigan August is different then what I am wearing in late December. The smaller steps make it easy to get into the stand, even if you have to use a couple more.

Whether you are using pags or sections, go beyond the height of your stand so you can step laterally into the stand. This really helps getting in and out of your stand in dark times. It will give you three points of contact at all times. Usually accidents occur as you do not have solid footing or your safety harness on (i.e. getting into and out of the stand).

Bring some rope. Tie one end to the stand and after your have assertained the final possition of your stand, use the rope to haul the stand up to you. By this time you should be comfortable with the locking mechanism and it will go faster. A safety harness at this point is invaluable.

I would also recommend hanging the stand about 5 feet off the ground in your yard for practice. This way you can get used the stand's locking procedure, strap or chain length, etc... Basically familiarize yourself with the stand so when you are 23 feet in a tree, you have all the kinks worked out.

I would lock mine.

STAY SAFE!!!