HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Metal/Heavy Risers?
View Single Post
Old 07-03-2009, 06:26 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Default Metal/Heavy Risers?

Anybody here shoot them? I know theres been all kinds of stinks raised on other boards about this one and that one, who copied who, etc. etc. etc. That's not what this is about--I'm just curious.

I've shot a few metal riser recurves. A good friend of mine is "addicted" to them, and he does shoot them extremely well. I just acquired (actually he gave it to me) a td longbow with an elk antler for a riser (Voodoo Stick). The antler is stabilized somehow by being impregnated with epoxy or rosin or something--at any rate, it's VERY heavy, especially compared to the bows I normally shoot. I was able to shoot it well though, within a couple of dozen arrows. I grouped with it the first time I shot it, although it took a few arrows to move the group to the spot I wanted.

No doubt these bows have an advantage on a target range, but how many hunt with them? I'll take the Voodoo bow hunting next season, but I don't know about taking it on a trip where I'll be carrying it all day long. What are your thoughts?

Chad