HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Revolver Hunting Capability????
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2009, 02:36 PM
BigJ71
Site Bouncer

Default RE: Revolver Hunting Capability!!!!

ORIGINAL: jeepkid

Okay...I was just using the 2000lbft minimum for my reference...
Minimum energy listings and guidelines are just that...guidelines. Just as important is bullet design, You will need a different bullet for Elk than you will for bear. For bear protection you want penetration. You want to break big bones and reach the vitals from shot angles you wouldn't normally take. You can be pushing 2500lbs of energy but if it's behind a hollow point or poorly designed jacketed bullet you're not going to be happy with the results...especially if your life is on the line. A hard cast gas checked flat nose will penetrate far greater thana jacketed soft point even traveling at a slower speed with less energy.

As mentioned, A pistol would be my last choice in big bear protection....a 105 Howitzer being my first. That's not to say it won't do the job, it will. I've hunted and fishedin big bear country and carried a Ruger Blackhawk .45Colt as a sidearm and never felt it wouldn't do the job.

That being said, when you actually see these big bears in the wild, your first thought (mine at least) is "I wonder if I brought enough gun"