HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Revolver Hunting Capability????
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2009, 01:29 PM
BigJ71
Site Bouncer

Default RE: Revolver Hunting Capability!!!!

ORIGINAL: jeepkid

Well heres the breakdown of the Corbon load...using this info, the .223 has more energy so it should also be fine for grizz and elk right...? I don't really care either way, I don't use a .223 for anything but coyotes and I'm not a pistol hunter either...just want ColoradoLuckyDog to know what he's using...

Muzzle Velocity: 1300
25 yards: 1241
50 1187

Muzzle Energy: 1126
25: 1026
50 938

Enough for deer, but elk and grizz would be pushing it for a primary weapon, back up pistol is a different story...
Geeez, Ican't believe I even HAVE to explain this! I'll try to mud this down so it is easily understood.

What you are not taking into consideration is the bullet grain/weight. The weight of the bullet traveling at the listed speeds. Your comparing energy to energy but not taking into consideration the difference between a 55gr (or 62) and a 300+ grain projectile with a far greater frontal diameter. It's like a ping pong ball and a golf ball both traveling at 1000fps.... which one would YOU rather be hit with?Your .223 comparison hold no water.

As for your last statement, you couldn't be further from the truth and you didn't even need to tell me your not a pistol hunter for me to figure it out with that statement.

Let me "enlighten" you.....

A pistol is by far the least effective and should be only the last line of defense against big bears. But just fine to use as a PRIMARY weapon. Why you ask? I'll tell ya. Hunting bears and other big game you have the advantage and generally the shots come as a complete surprise to your target. The bear, Moose, Elk (input whatever you like) for the most part has noidea you have just shot him, only that they have been hurt. The shot was taken at the optimal position so as to hit the vital organs.They willeither fall like a ton of bricks or run off biting (bears at least) at the spot that hurts, only to die yards away. In this situation a pistol will work just fine.

In alife defense situation it's a completely different ball game. The bear is pissed,full of energy and coming straight at you like afreight train. Now your target is a mass of shoulder muscle, think bone and nasty attitude running at full speed. Sure a big bore pistol will do the trick butyou had better hit him right and often or even a S&W 500mag will do you no good.A 223??? good luck with that.

I've hunted with handguns since the mid 80's

Lesson over...and your welcome.