HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - what should i do?
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2009, 05:23 AM
crokit
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: what should i do?

Feeders and minerals are illegal in NY.
[/quote]

Even outside of season they are? Darn
[/quote]

Reason being, I believe BWB, because once season starts and blocks/feeders are removed, the deer are continually drawn to the spot for residuals. Besides, up where your at in Herkimer, you can do well without them.

This is what I would do if I were you. Find the thickest, knarley, but more importantly, most inaccessible place there is on your property, keeping in mind it may not BE the thickest or knarlyest.
In that area,[ foothills of the 'dacks } even tho the prevailing wind tends to come out of NW, I would concentrate on the area downwind of an East-northeast wind, that offers a fair amount of field of view for eyes that would be maybe 3ft off the ground. Reason I say this is that is the wind that predicates much of the nasty weather up there-nor'easters and the like-and big buck,mature buck will move out ahead on this wind for shelter. This area should be your go to spot when storms are coming. This is the spot I would look to put up something permanent, built for comfort, 'cuz you'll need it up there come bad weather.

Personally, I wouldn't be in too big of a hurry for the big permanent box stand. YET. Doesn't sound like you've quite got it down pat as far as deer movement and tendencies on that property. I know you said you guys just bought that property not to long ago, so ask around and try to find how much pressure around the property exists. Find the trails,rubs-particularly generational rubs[ year after year, same clump of trees or, for that matter, same tree.] Even look for last years scrapes, yes, you can find them now despite their age. Until I found trails,rubs,scrapes,chit,tracks,etc., basically, ample good sign, I personally would hesitate to PLACE a permanent stand.

I'll pm you with a couple of additional thoughts I just had.