Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

what should i do?

Old 06-23-2009, 05:52 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: what should i do?

So crokit,you're pretty much saying, find a really thick area on the property, so when big winter storms come this is where many big bucks will bed? If thats the case, I know some pretty well areas. Last year I found somegreat rubs and scrapes on the back edge of the property... This is a pretty thick area right before a small field.I also found a pile of bear chit there too. Where I shot my doe last year, it is a really thick area, trails beat down to the mud consisting of mostly apple trees, about half of them still producing. I fell asleep in my stand during bow, and i wake up to a crack of my branch to my left. I look over and there was a big 8 standing there. I could never get a shot at him though.There is a 2 acre meadow on my property, about midway threw....That is where I was going to put the tower stand. To the right of the stand is a thick area where there are a few rubs. Its very hard to hunt that area though because it is so thick.. There are less noticable trails...Which meens that they are most likely "buck trails" right? Once again, thanks for the help
Old 06-23-2009, 06:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

crokit, keep the odeas coming. I do a lot but never thought about buoilding for the storm or ahead of the storm stand?? I like that ... I am in new ground in Ohio this year and looking at a nice thick bottom some small swamp, trees not real mature. I am going out in the next wekk or so to trim trails etc.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Buck Hunter 1

crokit, keep the odeas coming. I do a lot but never thought about buoilding for the storm or ahead of the storm stand?? I like that ... I am in new ground in Ohio this year and looking at a nice thick bottom some small swamp, trees not real mature. I am going out in the next wekk or so to trim trails etc.

Use it rarely. Watch your scent. Keeping in mind first time in stand quite often is the best.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigwhitetailbuck

So crokit,you're pretty much saying, find a really thick area on the property, so when big winter storms come this is where many big bucks will bed? If thats the case, I know some pretty well areas. Last year I found somegreat rubs and scrapes on the back edge of the property... This is a pretty thick area right before a small field.I also found a pile of bear chit there too. Where I shot my doe last year, it is a really thick area, trails beat down to the mud consisting of mostly apple trees, about half of them still producing. I fell asleep in my stand during bow, and i wake up to a crack of my branch to my left. I look over and there was a big 8 standing there. I could never get a shot at him though.There is a 2 acre meadow on my property, about midway threw....That is where I was going to put the tower stand. To the right of the stand is a thick area where there are a few rubs. Its very hard to hunt that area though because it is so thick.. There are less noticable trails...Which meens that they are most likely "buck trails" right? Once again, thanks for the help

Just mho, but spot doesn't necessarily HAVE to be thick, knarly. Could be as simple as just a fairly inaccessible spot on the lee side of the wind.

Sounds like your spot has some great potential!
Old 06-23-2009, 09:50 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: crokit

ORIGINAL: bigwhitetailbuck

Just mho, but spot doesn't necessarily HAVE to be thick, knarly. Could be as simple as just a fairly inaccessible spot on the lee side of the wind.

Sounds like your spot has some great potential!
Yah it definetly has some serious potential.. I just wish I had the money, time and equipment to make some foodplots. There are PLENTY of inaccessible spots on our land. There are 3 or 4 very deep ravines with pretty darn steep hills, some you cant even walk down. Would these be good spots to hunt. I think the deer actually might like these cause there are seasonal streams and protects them from the wind.?
Old 06-23-2009, 01:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Your description has MONSTER written all over it.