HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - DEER HUNTING STORIES? (true) what not to do
Old 06-18-2009, 05:56 PM
SGT.H
Fork Horn

Default RE: DEER HUNTING STORIES? (true) what not to do

I guess the best thing I had to learn the hard way was to always tie your treestand together( top & bottom).

I was down in Mississippi about 9 years ago with an old girlfriend who was visiting her family for Thanksgiving. I decided to go hunt her uncles land since the only reason I went was to hunt in the first place.
So there I was 30 feet up a white oak, and theplatform of my standfalls all the way to the bottom of the dang tree. CRAP!! What the hell do i do now?? Well, I sat there for a bit and just went over my options, which were not very good.
I had a cell phone but being from tennessee, it didnt get a signal. This was before there was a cell tower on every corner, and I was a pretty good ways from the house, so screaming wouldnt work. So I decided i Would have to slide down the tree like a firemans poll. I don't know how I done it without falling and breaking my neck but i did. I did however rip the seat out of my pants, and put a pretty good burn on my boys. (You go down faster than you think you will).

Once on the bottom, I had to bear hug the tree back up to get my upper half. Needless to say I didnt see anything that evening. And I learned a valuable lesson.