Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 DEER HUNTING STORIES? (true) what not to do >

DEER HUNTING STORIES? (true) what not to do

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

DEER HUNTING STORIES? (true) what not to do

Old 06-18-2009, 09:48 AM
Fork Horn

Default DEER HUNTING STORIES? (true) what not to do

Anyone have any good deer stories?What not to do,or oops.Good thing to talk about in the OFF season.plusILL KNOWwhat not to do. Lightfoot52 in Indiana I PROMISE WE WONT TELL ANYONE
Old 06-18-2009, 05:56 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: DEER HUNTING STORIES? (true) what not to do

I guess the best thing I had to learn the hard way was to always tie your treestand together( top & bottom).

I was down in Mississippi about 9 years ago with an old girlfriend who was visiting her family for Thanksgiving. I decided to go hunt her uncles land since the only reason I went was to hunt in the first place.
So there I was 30 feet up a white oak, and theplatform of my standfalls all the way to the bottom of the dang tree. CRAP!! What the hell do i do now?? Well, I sat there for a bit and just went over my options, which were not very good.
I had a cell phone but being from tennessee, it didnt get a signal. This was before there was a cell tower on every corner, and I was a pretty good ways from the house, so screaming wouldnt work. So I decided i Would have to slide down the tree like a firemans poll. I don't know how I done it without falling and breaking my neck but i did. I did however rip the seat out of my pants, and put a pretty good burn on my boys. (You go down faster than you think you will).

Once on the bottom, I had to bear hug the tree back up to get my upper half. Needless to say I didnt see anything that evening. And I learned a valuable lesson.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:01 PM
Fork Horn

I WILL REMEMBER THAT ONE FOR SURE.I DO GET IN A HURRY SOMETIMES AND FORGET THINGS.GLADE YOU DIDNT GET HURT LIGHTFOOT
Old 06-21-2009, 06:34 PM

heres one for u. i love to bow hunt and i practice all time. to practice i change my tips to field tips so i don’t mess up my hunting tips . well, one after noon igot all my gear together and took off. when i got in my stand i pulled out a arrow to nock it, then i realized i forgot to put my hunting tips back on my arrows. now i carry some extra ones in my bag.
Old 06-22-2009, 05:25 AM
Fork Horn

That would mess-up a hunt for .sure
Old 06-22-2009, 05:26 AM
Typical Buck

How about forgetting to notcha arrow when shooting at a deer ???. BONG , crack goes the limbs. New Bow needed. NO it wasnt me.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:32 AM

Always know whats behind you're target. I know a guy who shot out his kitchen window with a 308. He said he was walking up his driveway from the lower part of his land right before dark. A deer runs out of the clearing going across the driveway, he shoots at it while its running and the bullet could of killed someone standing at the sink. [&:]
Old 06-22-2009, 11:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sometimes forgetting things works out better than you think.

I had been bow hunting one mid-October morning and had been going to take a doe if I had the chance. Well, I didnt see anything so I got down and went across the field to trim a few limbs on my ladderstand. After I get back to the truck I remembered I left my pocket knife. I was going to hunt a different spot that afternoon but thought I would just go back and hunt the ladderstand and get my knife. Just so happens that leaving the knife worked out pretty well. I arrowed a great buck that ended up scoring 173 gross P&Y. and is the biggest bow kill from that county.
Old 06-22-2009, 12:00 PM
Typical Buck

this happened to a buddy of mine's dad he shot a fat doe that ran in fornt of my buddy's uncle who also shot at the doe and dropped it
Old 06-22-2009, 12:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: J The Deer Slayer

Always know whats behind you're target. I know a guy who shot out his kitchen window with a 308. He said he was walking up his driveway from the lower part of his land right before dark. A deer runs out of the clearing going across the driveway, he shoots at it while its running and the bullet could of killed someone standing at the sink. [&:]
My best friend and hunting buddy was shot and almost killed by someone who did this same thing. He was walking with the guy who shot him, and when he got to his stand, he stayed and the other guy kept walking. When the other guy got to the far side of the field 137 yards away, a doe ran between them and he started shooting. The jerk was shooting at a running doe at over 100 yards with 12 gauge slugs right at a guy that he dropped off on stand. The kick in the ass is that if he missed my buddy, he would have hit his own house. There isn't a deer out there that's worth risking anyones life over.

Quick Reply: DEER HUNTING STORIES? (true) what not to do

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.