HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How much powder to use? (Pyrodex Results page 6)
Old 06-18-2009, 12:35 PM
Horizontal Hunter
Fork Horn

Default RE: How much powder to use?

ORIGINAL: Bullet Hole Bailey

Well I dont have enough money to just go off and buy ever dang thing I want and especially for a hobby. I thought I'd see if I could make do with what I got but I guess not. I will get Pyrodex or Real Black Powder when I can. But it seems like I would atleast get better results than what I am getting.

BHB
I agree that one of the best things you can do is to change your powder. I think that real black powder is often overlooked by many new shooters and I prefer it over Pyrodex. But, to answer your question in order to "made do" with the powder you have (777) you have to find a way to protect the patch. You could use a felt button (wad) between the powder and the patched ball or you could try to put about 10g of corn meal in between the powder and the patched ball. Either should protect the patch from getting destroyed and ruining your accuracy. I personally have used the feltwads but I have notused the cornmeal. I have seen significant improvements in mymaxi ball groups using the felt wads.

Bob