HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How much powder to use? (Pyrodex Results page 6)
Old 06-18-2009, 05:01 AM
rafsob
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How much powder to use?

ORIGINAL: Horizontal Hunter

ORIGINAL: cayugad
I shoot 777 in my CVA Mountain Stalker/Bobcat all the time with no problems and excellent accuracy.
Cayuad,

Did you do anything special to get 777 to shoot in your CVA? When I tried it in mine I had a lot of misfires where the cap would go off but not ignite the powder. I tried tapping on the far side of the lock, with the lock facing the ground, to make sure that some powder went into the bolster but I still had misfires using a standard #11 cap and the factory nipple. I never had any trouble with Pyrex or Goex.

Thanks,

Bob
As I stated before, this is common with 777 powder. The company even understands that their powder needs a hotter ignition. They even make a hotter 209 primer especially for 777 powder. Don't get me wrong, I like the stuff but only use it in my inlines. And it works well. Oh I am sure you can get 777 to fire using a regular #11 caps, but not with any consistency. So when I am in the woods and lining up a a shot for that trophy buck, I don't want my gun to not fire. It happened to me once.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me!

But as with anything, this is all IMHO and through my experiences.