HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - deer scents
Thread: deer scents
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2009, 05:57 PM
Mojotex
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: deer scents

As does JimmyS, I collect urine from deer I kill. I do not make any attempt to separate doe from buck. the only precaution I take is to filter the urine through a "coffee filter" to remove any blood clots, dirt and/or debris. I use a "Ball" brand canning jar. I save what deer-pee I do not use from year to year, keeping any excess it in the freezer until I need some. I use the pee to make a drag-rag.

I also remove "wet" tarsal glands. I use these to make mock rubs. I keep any extras in the freezer and keep the one I am using as cold as practical, so as to reduce the deterioration. During rut, I will smear these along the way to my stand, starting usually 100 yards or so away. Then I hang the tarsal near where I am set-up, and where I can see it and not have it down wind of me. I have had several nice bucks come to investigate. Over these 35 or so years, but only 6-7 have been mature (4+ looking).

I have had a lot of deer come to investigate the scent from the drag. Most have been immature bucks or young does. Never once have I noticed a really mature doe do anymore than scent the line and move on. On one occasion I had a fine buck come in all bristled up, directly downwind and 90 degs. to the scent line. He was looking for something for sure. One time had a bob-cat trail the drag line directly to the base of my ladder. That cat even put it front paws on the first step and looked up. When it saw me, it was outta there ! That was neat !

I do not necessarily use the drag to attract deer, but rather to try to cover my trail. Done this since my grand dad showed me how-to, some 50 years ago. Not sure it works all that well, but why not ?

I do not use any commercial scents. Tried several. No noticeable response.