HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - When is the rut?
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2009, 04:48 AM
crokit
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: When is the rut?

I base my observations of the rut/breeding season solely from a lay man's point of view established over a number of years of hunting experience. No more, no less. I'm not selling anything, nor making money on seminars, just determining, through data gathered, when the optimum time to be in the woods during the breeding cycle. I would be willing to bet, if they are honest here, that hunters in the Southern tier,committed to serious mature buck hunting will notice that through the years the peak rut activity-T.R., " full blown rut "- has occurred during this time frame. If someone has professional,published data referrencing the Southern tier on this issue, as it is the area of which I am speaking, please share it.

My observations have been, for the Southern tier of NY, that the 96hr. period that follows the second new moon after the fall solistice { sp },-of which, only 40+ hours are available for hunting- provides that window. I spend as much time as possible in the woods during that time frame, and it has NEVER failed me. While getting info from people making a living of such info certainly helps, i TRUST what I have observed, which carries no agenda other than to have fun, enjoy the hunt, and maybe be successful. The day I start TRUSTING someone I have never met, or their blanket statements, will be a sad day.

In the end, it's whatever works for an individual, and it works for me. Frankly, it won't bother me if others don't follow the lead, the less scent in the woods, the better.