HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - When is the rut?
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2009, 01:09 PM
crokit
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: When is the rut?

So Dr. Karl Miller told Dr. Alscheimer he was wrong. And that proves?? Chuck does just fine in my book.

Anyone can provide any amount of data to support his/her claims, twisted to varying amount of degrees.

Bottom line: timing of rut or more accurately, breeding season, has more to do with evolution than anything else. Female species must have optimum opportunity to bear young and have the young survive. In the northern climates, as well as southern, they need to be born with enough time between birth and oncoming winter to help ensure ability to survive that winter. Just so happens that in southern climes, this can occur later in the summer, hence a general later breeding season/rut. Additionally, as I stated earlier, I'm speaking of the Southern Tier of NY, not a totally different climate found elsewhere.The rut isn't a one size fits all { climates }. But, then again, I'm sure you know that. It isn't rocket science, although some would like it to be.
I'll stick with my high school education knowledge which, frankly, has served me well to this point.