HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - DIY archery elk tips?
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2009, 02:09 PM
ranchand99
Typical Buck

Default RE: DIY archery elk tips?

I have not done it,but have a good friend as a source.He said early in the season the biggest bulls are up real high.(The one's you are after).He said to look for water,and small openings at the highest elevations.You can find water on topo's,and clearings/elevations on google earth.He said the pressure starts on the elk 2 days before the season comes.People start scouting/spooking them,and they go way back.His advice to me was to find these high elevation areas with water/small openings atleast 1 1/2 miles away from travel roads.He told me to get started hiking way before daylight,and you can catch the bulls unaware,and catch some that are getting pushed up by other hunters below.Also be very aware of the wind!

I am looking forward to your adventure please keep us posted!I will have a 5 day time frame on my trip as well when I do it.I think with an extra day or two pre-scouting you can make it happen in a day or 3's worth of hunting.I believe these guys on here when they say it takes a bigger time frame,but I like you have very limited time,and as others have said atleast being out there you have a chance.Sounds like you don't mind tag soup...lol

Good luck and keep us posted!