HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Hunting post rut tips
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2003, 09:29 PM
skeeter 7MM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Hunting post rut tips

If peak rut has just ended i like to rattle close to the bedding areas and have drawn in lots of bucks looking for one more kick at the can. If it is past this time, I go back to early bow style hunting. I will hunt food sources and transition routes at peak times. During the day I like to nestle in tight to the beds just hoping to get a chance at buck stretching his legs. If you use bait, then move your setup in the thick areas of bush you' ll find the deer will come and browse all day. I would suggest if you can get your hands on some good quality hay, lay it down then the loose vitals on top(ie: corn). When I use to bait and now that I hunt just natural food sources, I have found bucks crave the high nutrients of alfafa to get the fat on before winter. I spend about 90% of my time hunting alfalfa fields that are stuck back out of the way come post rut. You must be very patient and stick it out during this time, no matter how cold them feet get If alfafla ain' t common around your parts, then use something that is natural and nutrients rich(if possible). If not then just put more corn or the likes out, a salt lick or drop will also help.

Good Luck