Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting post rut tips

Old 08-06-2003, 01:29 AM

Default Hunting post rut tips

Hello, I see that according to the calander that the rut is over by the time rifle season hits Michigan. I haven' t had much luck in the past getting anything but does and spikes to come in. I bait with a bit of corn, and use a ground blind. No scents or anything special as I' m still trying to learn this. Any hints or suggestions?
Old 08-06-2003, 05:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Hunting post rut tips

Welcome to the board Jay, with the rut over you will have to do better scouting, find the bedding area and where the highest concentration of mast producing trees are near the bedding area, if the rut is over you will need to get on stand early near the bedding area because bucks will return to the bedding area well before does do, remember the wind and forget the corn, smart bucks will only eat bait at night and all you are really doing is disturbing/stinking up the area he will travel through, avoid at all cost crossing or walking on the trails leading in and out of the bedding area.
Old 08-06-2003, 06:22 AM

A doe is on a 28 day lunar cycle. That means that is a doe is not bred on her first cycle whe will come into esterus again 26 to 28 days later. The total rutting period will last at least 60 days. You may be missing peak rut but not " the" rut.

Just fod for thought here.
Old 08-06-2003, 09:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

If peak rut has just ended i like to rattle close to the bedding areas and have drawn in lots of bucks looking for one more kick at the can. If it is past this time, I go back to early bow style hunting. I will hunt food sources and transition routes at peak times. During the day I like to nestle in tight to the beds just hoping to get a chance at buck stretching his legs. If you use bait, then move your setup in the thick areas of bush you' ll find the deer will come and browse all day. I would suggest if you can get your hands on some good quality hay, lay it down then the loose vitals on top(ie: corn). When I use to bait and now that I hunt just natural food sources, I have found bucks crave the high nutrients of alfafa to get the fat on before winter. I spend about 90% of my time hunting alfalfa fields that are stuck back out of the way come post rut. You must be very patient and stick it out during this time, no matter how cold them feet get If alfafla ain' t common around your parts, then use something that is natural and nutrients rich(if possible). If not then just put more corn or the likes out, a salt lick or drop will also help.

Good Luck