HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Gaining permission to hunt new properties
Old 05-06-2009, 12:39 PM
12GaugeGuy
Spike

Default RE: Gaining permission to hunt new properties

It is nearly impossible to get permission around here and this is why...
The one guy approaches the landowner and gets permission. The landowner assumes that the ONE guy will be there alone or maybe have a friend with him. WRONG!!
The landowner goes to sit in his stand on opening day of buck rifle season and instead of seeing the one truck parked along the road, he sees TRUCKS parked along side the road and hears and sees ATVs ripping and romping all over the place. That ONE guy that seemed so nice and professional a few months before decides to bring his whole extended family and turn them loose on the landowners 100 acre plot.
After watching two weeks of ATV racing and mud bogging from his stand, the landowner goes and looks at the damage. He finds where the other hunters stands were by the beer cans piled under the trees. He then finds a few deer with the heads cut off along with the backstraps cut out. The small creek that always had the baby ducks in it in the spring is now a mud hole filled with ruts from the ATVs driving through it.
Angrily he posts the yellow no tresspassing signs around his land and for years to come he has to run off hordes of people off his land and the excuse is always the same- "you gave my cousin permission to hunt here didnt ya??" or "what posted signs?"

So yeah.....

As frusterating as it is, I dont blame the landowners one bit. If I worked all my life for my peice of land I wouldnt give permission to nobody, because I dont want my stuff tore up. Responsible guys- like the guys on this thread, are a rarity in my neck of the woods. Oh yeah, the written permission part. You can forget about that. Nobody in thier right mind is going to sign anything with the way things are in WV with the BS lawsuits going on. I hunt public land and I stay out of the woods during buck rifle to avoid the retards. I hunt the last few days of it and usually to no avail. I am a antlerless season and muzzleloader season guy!!