HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - My nephew bought a gun and I don't know much about it.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:55 PM
driftrider
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: My nephew bought a gun and I don't know much about it.

What he has there is probably a U.S. Springfield Model 1903-A3 rifle made by Remington (they were made be several companies for the U.S. Government, Remington being one of them). If this rifle is in good condition and not sporterized (altered from it's military configuration for sporting use), it would be worth a pretty penny on todays market. A specimen in very good condition with matching numbers will sell these days for well over $1000, and even a arsenal rebuilt gun is worth $500-600 unless it's in very poor condition. The '03-A3 has in recent years gotten a lot for scarce on the surplus market, and demand is high. I'd like to know what he paid his uncle for it. If he paid any less than $500 for a military original 1903-A3, he practically stole it. A sporterized rifle will usually run from low $300's for a bubbized rifle, to thousands for a finely build custom rifle on an '03-A3 action.

I'd like to see some pictures to be sure of the identification, but I'm 95% sure it's an '03-A3.

Mike