HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Still trying for my first longbeard!! Any Suggestions??
Old 05-02-2009, 05:29 PM
mfd1027
Typical Buck

Default RE: Still trying for my first longbeard!! Any Suggestions??

This is the year! You gotta believe! In your travels last wk. you learned a lot and now you've located a few birds that do nearly the same thing everyday. This is great. If you know the areawell enough to get up on that bench with them before daylight , do it. As a "general" rule it's tougher to call birds up or downhill than it is to call them on flat ground like the bench. If they have exited the bench in one general area that's where I would be 1/2 hr. before daylight. Good woodsmanship kills more turkeys day in and day out than the best calling in the world will. "Be where they want to be". I know it sounds too simple but if you'll remember that one little tidbit you'll start killing longbeards on a consistent basis. Don't be afraid to call but once you have their interest tone it down and stick to clucking, purring and some soft yelping. Keep us posted and remember, "You gotta believe"

Dan