HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Gaining permission to hunt new properties
Old 04-26-2009, 04:45 PM
bowmanaj
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Gaining permission to hunt new properties

1. Be polite
2. Take into consideration the clothes you're wearing. Its a shame, but the reality of the world is that people make assumptions based on appearence..This is coming from someone who would fall under the "hillbilly" atire category.
3. Don't go during dinner time or too early in the morning/too late at night..
4. Explain that safety is 1st to you
5.Explainthat you will respect the property.
6. Offer to help on the farm (this has worked for me). If its not a farm, offer firewood, shoveling snow, etc..
7. DO NOT have something already written up (like a contract or permission slip) when you show up. This puts pressure on people and makes them uncomfortable/weary.
8. Explain that you will only bowhunt the property if they so wish, there will be no guns on the property (if you don't bowhunt, disregard this one).
9. Offer their family some of the meat from the game you harvest...say "harvest" not kill
10. Explain that you understandwhen and where you hunt on their property, is totally up to them.
11. Again, be polite
12. Its always a good idea to give something in return, whether it is meat, help with chores, card/cookies at christmas time..Little stuff like that shows that you are appreciative of them letting you hunt their land. You never know, you could end up being friends with the people.

Some of these things I have tried andthey worked for me, and some are things I've learned from people in the bowhunting forum.
Good luck