HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Gaining permission to hunt new properties
Old 04-26-2009, 04:40 PM
kevin1
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Gaining permission to hunt new properties

If your state DNR is like mine then their website has a downloadable permission form that outlines the legal rights of the property owner who allows you to hunt/fish their land. Ours outlines what activities are allowed/prohibited, and much more. It also reminds the landowner that allowing such activities indemnefies them from any legal liability by state law. It's a pretty good bet that your DNR has a similar form since your state probably has a similar law, consult your local game warden. I've used ours with considerable success.

When you approach a landowner, with or without such a form, dress in casual dress, not camo, and just be nice. First impressions are crucial. If the landowner grants you an interview treat it like you would a job interview, put your best foot forward and present your case briefly and logically. Assure the landowner that you'll respect both their property and their wishes, and that you will leave their property better than you found it. Stress that safety is your first priority, especially if the land you're seeking permission for is one that the landowner lives on. be prepared to offer him an indemnity contract, even if your state indemnifies landowners for property use. Offer to trade sweat for access, this will go a long way toward getting you in, especially with farmers. In short, be real with them, they don't have to let you in. Never offer money, especially any talk of leasing, landowners view money far differently than they do friendship. I know many farmers, and most of them would rather have a hunter who helps protect their crops than a head hunter who is only interested in taking big deer from their land. Offer to take does, preferably on crop depredation permits which are usually issued before hunting seasons, this will show them that you are a partner in their interest. The farmer is your friend, show him that you're his friend. Don't expect something for nothing, be prepared to give up front for what you want.