HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Mineral
Thread: Mineral
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2009, 02:56 PM
Mojotex
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Mineral

I started using NaCl blocks way, way back. Some 20 yeas or so ago I read an article put out by Auburn Univ. about the value of supplemental minerals for deer health. Bottom line of that article is an artificial lick made from a mix of Dicalcium Phosphate and NaCl works well. The NaCl acts more as the attractant. the di-cal is the mineral that helps the deer's health,. Lactating does go through a bunch of calcium. Poor browse can lead to bone degeneration because the calcium intake is going primarily to the production of milk, The di-cal is supposed to help that a bunch. the article also mentioned using a high mineral supplement that is used for dairy cattle. It too is loaded with calcium. According to what I recall, the article recommended no more than 25% NaCl by weight. Because of economics, I general use about a 2-1 mix, NaCl to Di-cal. Di-cal was about $20/50# last spring. NaCl was about $6/50#.

I hunt a tad over 3100 acres. I have made about 13 salt licks. I put out 3000# in 2007 and 1500# last spring. I have not made the rounds yet this year. There is still plenty in each lick but I plan to put out about 1500# again. Trail cameras clearly show that the deer bomb these licks in the spring-summer. Some of the photos show as many as 8 deer digging in at the same time. Even have two shots of a raccoon holding a lump of crusted salt and wearing it out. After about mid September, use of the licks drops to practically nothing.