HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Can You live off a Taxidermist salary???
Old 04-08-2009, 05:29 AM
zubba
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Can You live off a Taxidermist salary???

Someone is not going to come out of school pulling in $525 per head. In fact, they likely won't be doing it even a couple years out of school. Also, it will take years to build a clientel large enough to do 3 heads per week. What Redclub stated was an ideal situtation, but that doesn't happen overnight. A taxidermist once told me it ISN'T a get rich fast profession. So much also depends on your area. It is a shame, it my area, there are people doing deer for $250....which hurts the surrounding taxidermist. I charge $300 (which is still too little), but until I can build my clientel up enough, I feel it is about as far as I can go. You aren't going to make a killing charging $300 per head. I descent money for a part time gig...but no way would it support a family. There is one guy about 45 minutes away charging around $525 per head, but he is a national chamption...and again, that didn't happen overnight.

The best advice so far has been GO TO COLLEGE!! Education is a great investment. Even if it is for a 2-year degree...you won't regret it. I feel once you have a GOOD full time job with benefits and with the luxury of doing taxidermy for additional income, you won't look back. If you have interest in taxidermy, learn it, study it, and enjoy it.....but I wouldn't put all my eggs in one basket at such a young age.