Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
 Can You live off a Taxidermist salary??? >

Can You live off a Taxidermist salary???

Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Can You live off a Taxidermist salary???

Old 04-06-2009, 04:04 PM
Spike

Default Can You live off a Taxidermist salary???

The reason I ask is this...Last year I had a motorcycle wreck when a drunk driver pulled out in front of me...Long story short I worked for Toyota building cars and I lost my job after my FMLA ran out. Even now I have nerve damage and im not capable of doing hard physical labor, so I I guess I will need to take a different path..I was thinking about going back to school for something in the medical field or the computer field. But the more I think about it im not sure I would enjoy either one. I've been thinking about mabe trying taxidermy...I've watched a lot of video's and I've been exposed to it quite a bit (local taxi's)...I know what to expect and I realize it's not easy, or something that can be learned over night like a lot of people think. Btw I am 24 years old, and I don't have too many bills at this point other than some outragous medical bills..So I don't have a family to support and can sacrifice not making money for a while..But I will ask what kind of money could be reasonablly made after 2-3 years in the business? How many hours on average go into a shoulder mount?(i know some people are slower than others) I know your not going to get rich in the profession, but with today's economy things are getting tough. I hinted around about it to my taxidermist and he told me I need to go back to school, that he really doesn't make any money, and it gets old like any other job. But I figured he just told me that because he don't wanna lose any business. Just asking for suggestions and input....Thanks
Old 04-06-2009, 04:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Can You live off a Taxidermist salary???

Sorry to hear about the accident... If your hands and arms are affected by any nerve damage its gonna be a toughgo with taxidermy. Its very strenuous on the hands and is a very labor orriented trade. Yes livings can be made and I'm workin on that myself right now. Got another year and a half of college left but have been doing taxidermy for a couple years and started my buisiness this last year and things are going well. I think this season is going to be good....
Anways you need to ask yourself are you a very artistic and detailed person who enjoys studying wildlife and will be patient enough to work and learn how toproduce life like looking mounts?? There are alot of hacks out there but the ones who makegood livings doing it are the most skilled and artistic and get the buisiness aspect of it down. Taxidermy is one of those things that everyone outdoorsman thinks they want to do andyou either have the potential tomake itor you don't. Taxidermy truely is an art and I absolutly love it...
Without getting intoeverything to much here is my suggestion. If you truely think you want to make something of taxidermylook into taxidermy schools or a college degree like buisiness or something else you think would be a great back up plan. Don't know about taxi schools (maybe there is summer ones) but collegewont start until fall. In the mean time and while going to college you can start learning taxidermy and in a year or two maybe you'll be ready for commercial work and start making money. Also maybe consider a technical college with a 2 year program that you could eventually transfer to a 4 year if you want too.By the time you graduate you will either realize your not gonna make it as a taxi or you will have a great buisiness started already and be well on your way. Personally I love having my taxidermy to do while going to school because I can work when I want and when I have time to....
I'm sure some full time more experienced guys might have some suggestions for you too...
Also join taxidermy.net and hang out in the forums and you will learn alot and get more insight into what it takes to be succesful. Great people on that site too.Taxidermy is an experience learned trade. Good luck with your decision making. You got plenty of time. WCL
Old 04-07-2009, 07:54 AM
Fork Horn

A very good taxi will get about $525 for a deer mount 3 a week and you could gross about $81,000 per year throw in a few birds,fish,large game and you could get to $90000 or more. Now taking expenses out over time, $50,000 a yearseems doable IF YOU ARE GOOD. Working for cash also helps, if you have a wife working with health ins. and benefits that is the ideal situation.
I thought about doing it a long long time ago. I have friends who make a fine living.
RC
Old 04-07-2009, 10:01 AM
Spike

I have been doing taxidermy for three year and am doing a decent job. I know I am better than many other but I also know there are many others better than I.My 2007 seasonI only took in 16 deer head, my 2008 only 7. It is tough getting my name out there. I definitely cannont make a living at this esspecially in my location where we only get $375-$425 for a whitetail shoulder mount. Some think it is easy work/easy money and it's not. My avatar is the type of work I perform.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:57 AM
Typical Buck

my taxidermist used to do construction work,he blew out 2 disk in his back. he had just got into taxidermy when he got hurt. after a operation to fuse the disc he's making a decent living doing it full time. he took in almost 100 animals this year.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Someone is not going to come out of school pulling in $525 per head. In fact, they likely won't be doing it even a couple years out of school. Also, it will take years to build a clientel large enough to do 3 heads per week. What Redclub stated was an ideal situtation, but that doesn't happen overnight. A taxidermist once told me it ISN'T a get rich fast profession. So much also depends on your area. It is a shame, it my area, there are people doing deer for $250....which hurts the surrounding taxidermist. I charge $300 (which is still too little), but until I can build my clientel up enough, I feel it is about as far as I can go. You aren't going to make a killing charging $300 per head. I descent money for a part time gig...but no way would it support a family. There is one guy about 45 minutes away charging around $525 per head, but he is a national chamption...and again, that didn't happen overnight.

The best advice so far has been GO TO COLLEGE!! Education is a great investment. Even if it is for a 2-year degree...you won't regret it. I feel once you have a GOOD full time job with benefits and with the luxury of doing taxidermy for additional income, you won't look back. If you have interest in taxidermy, learn it, study it, and enjoy it.....but I wouldn't put all my eggs in one basket at such a young age.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:52 AM
Fork Horn

Yeh Zubba, the Taxi's I know are top of the line, Never advertise and only take repeat customers, 525 is what he is charging me for a mount and I have been going to him for 30 years. (Not every year of course). I used to do it as a hobby but it is hard work, back then we pickled a hide. Then went to instant Tan which looked good for a couple years. Now it seems there are a lot of folks who do a pretty good job in only a short time.
Redclub
Old 04-09-2009, 04:27 AM
Typical Buck

some think a big price means quality mounts ,not always. one of the highest priced taxi's in my area doesn't tan his deer hides,he uses dried preservatives which i don't think holds up very long.

like ZUBBA said,some will keep the prices down to build up there customer base. most will raise the prices when they feel they have enough work to get thru a year. repeat business is a must in this business,so you must learn to do it good enough to make them keep coming back,if not you will be out of work.
Old 04-09-2009, 05:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

like ZUBBA said,some will keep the prices down to build up there customer base. most will raise the prices when they feel they have enough work to get thru a year. repeat business is a must in this business,so you must learn to do it good enough to make them keep coming back,if not you will be out of work.
Right on srws....a taxidermist told me that one bad customer mount will do more damage than 10 good mounts will do you good.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:02 AM
Spike

Hey, I appreciate all the kind words and advice. I joined taxidermy.net, and have been doing tons of reading. I think the best thing for me to do which was stated is go back to school and do some taxidermy on the side. I know that either one can't be achieved over night, so ill go ahead and do both.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.