HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Can You live off a Taxidermist salary???
Old 04-06-2009, 04:52 PM
wingchaser_labs
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Can You live off a Taxidermist salary???

Sorry to hear about the accident... If your hands and arms are affected by any nerve damage its gonna be a toughgo with taxidermy. Its very strenuous on the hands and is a very labor orriented trade. Yes livings can be made and I'm workin on that myself right now. Got another year and a half of college left but have been doing taxidermy for a couple years and started my buisiness this last year and things are going well. I think this season is going to be good....
Anways you need to ask yourself are you a very artistic and detailed person who enjoys studying wildlife and will be patient enough to work and learn how toproduce life like looking mounts?? There are alot of hacks out there but the ones who makegood livings doing it are the most skilled and artistic and get the buisiness aspect of it down. Taxidermy is one of those things that everyone outdoorsman thinks they want to do andyou either have the potential tomake itor you don't. Taxidermy truely is an art and I absolutly love it...
Without getting intoeverything to much here is my suggestion. If you truely think you want to make something of taxidermylook into taxidermy schools or a college degree like buisiness or something else you think would be a great back up plan. Don't know about taxi schools (maybe there is summer ones) but collegewont start until fall. In the mean time and while going to college you can start learning taxidermy and in a year or two maybe you'll be ready for commercial work and start making money. Also maybe consider a technical college with a 2 year program that you could eventually transfer to a 4 year if you want too.By the time you graduate you will either realize your not gonna make it as a taxi or you will have a great buisiness started already and be well on your way. Personally I love having my taxidermy to do while going to school because I can work when I want and when I have time to....
I'm sure some full time more experienced guys might have some suggestions for you too...
Also join taxidermy.net and hang out in the forums and you will learn alot and get more insight into what it takes to be succesful. Great people on that site too.Taxidermy is an experience learned trade. Good luck with your decision making. You got plenty of time. WCL