HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Can You live off a Taxidermist salary???
Old 04-06-2009, 04:04 PM
KYHEADHUNTER2
Spike

Default Can You live off a Taxidermist salary???

The reason I ask is this...Last year I had a motorcycle wreck when a drunk driver pulled out in front of me...Long story short I worked for Toyota building cars and I lost my job after my FMLA ran out. Even now I have nerve damage and im not capable of doing hard physical labor, so I I guess I will need to take a different path..I was thinking about going back to school for something in the medical field or the computer field. But the more I think about it im not sure I would enjoy either one. I've been thinking about mabe trying taxidermy...I've watched a lot of video's and I've been exposed to it quite a bit (local taxi's)...I know what to expect and I realize it's not easy, or something that can be learned over night like a lot of people think. Btw I am 24 years old, and I don't have too many bills at this point other than some outragous medical bills..So I don't have a family to support and can sacrifice not making money for a while..But I will ask what kind of money could be reasonablly made after 2-3 years in the business? How many hours on average go into a shoulder mount?(i know some people are slower than others) I know your not going to get rich in the profession, but with today's economy things are getting tough. I hinted around about it to my taxidermist and he told me I need to go back to school, that he really doesn't make any money, and it gets old like any other job. But I figured he just told me that because he don't wanna lose any business. Just asking for suggestions and input....Thanks