HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - A question on human scent...
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2009, 06:56 AM
Edcyclopedia
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: A question on human scent...

Deer are like humans, I think they all have different personalities.....

Some deer will check out of the county when they smell a human and others simply run until they feel comfortable.
At this point they might continue to slowly walk away or just stand far enough away and watch this "strange thing" until it passes.
You might not see them, but they might be there???
I firmly believe that we walk bye or bump more than 80% of the deer we physically see,
deer are certainly masters of disguise when blending into the foliage surrounding their bodies!

A small story, from this past hunting season, has given me an appreciation of the elusive deer we hunt (even though it wasn't a remote area)..
Sitting in my tree stand on a small tract of state forest land, I watched a small 4 pointer walk bye in which I decided to let him live for another couple of years.
A few minutes later I hear voices on the foot path about 75 yards away, it was two elderly gentlemen in blaze orange out for their daily walk.
So, I turn around to see them walking and drinking a coffee, as this little buck runs back towards me and stands 10 yards from me under a hanging hemlock branch.
As the deer patiently peeked out from the hemlock branch, he stood waiting and watching for the gentleman to pass.
At this point it was a real life experience of how elusive these deer can be.[&:]
The little buck watched them pass and quickly ran back to where he came from.
I can only imagine how many deer I've walked bye and never even knew it!

Another story (remote area)...
I was about 2 1/2 miles into the big woods of NH working my way through a large swamp.
As I tried to cross a big beaver damn I found the water getting close to the top of my rubber boots,
so I decided to turn around and continue down the edge of the swamp looking for a new place to cross.
When I quietly proceeded another 40 yards, I suddenly heard a suction noise behind me.
I turn around to see a nice mature 8 pointer walking off the beaver damn just as I did.
I believe I bumped him into the swamp, or he was trying to get to my side of the swamp and just watched me walk bye.
Needless to say, I clicked my safety off and I needed him to walk 3 more steps, to give me a broadside shot without brush in between us.
The elusive buck walked 2 steps and got behind a larger diameter tree, then walked directly away from me.
I did run to an opening, to try and cut him off, but he was never to be seen again, SOB!