HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - A question on human scent...
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2009, 11:45 AM
Canned Heat
Fork Horn

Default RE: A question on human scent...

I have some friends from school years doing very well financially and they get to hunt areas that are incredibly remote and secluded. I've had this discussion with them and it's boiled down to this according to their observations over the years:

1) A young, uneducated fawn or young of the year deer of either s#x in it's first year may very well approach you out of curiosity, if it's never smelled human scent of any kind prior to that point. That could be food, body scent/sweat, man-made components (gas, gunpowder, gum, cig smoke, etc..).

2) By the time that animal is 5 or 6 months old, whether it's male or female...it will know that if "IT" does not smell like another deer, a tree, dirt, or food source...it's probably a source for alarm and as such will either make an effort to locate the danger, or get the heck out of dodge.

I'd be willing to bet that animals that are used to being around humans have a nose for it, maybe even a tolerance to it. Animals that are in far away places, seeing or getting no human interaction, are probably more cautious, more aware, and just plain harder to hunt.

Just my 2 pennies.