HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Sweet corn and Apple Trees
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2009, 01:02 PM
bowmanaj
Nontypical Buck

Default Sweet corn and Apple Trees

I ended up getting "sugar buns"sweet corn,an se hybrid that I believe is a mid-late hybrid (correct me if I'm wrong). I was wondering about any early hybrids that I can plant in another sectionthat won't have cross-pollination problems??

We have had a lot of moisture, and temps still in the mid fifties, so I am going to wait until May/June to plant the "sugar buns". It needs pretty warm soil temps to germinate anyway..but I was wondering if any one had any suggestions on an early hybrid?

As you can see, we have had a lot of moisture. I waiting till things dry up to finish working the soil. I figure I'll just use the roto-tiller and old fashioned row planterfor this spot. I still plan on protecting this one from the deer, so I got some T-posts up before another thunderstorm. Still looking into products that would work well as nettingand not look bad.Any suggestions I'm open to them..

I also plan on protecting some young apple trees until they get established.

I planted 2 new trees yesterday as well. A semi-dwarf yellow delicious and another profusion crabapple to help pollination. Still need to get these protected, and staked down so they grow straight. I always try to keep the root ball about 2 inches above ground level, but the profusion crab apple didn't even have a root ball

Any suggestions/advice is greatly appreciated