Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Sweet corn and Apple Trees

Old 04-01-2009, 01:15 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Sweet corn and Apple Trees

Up here in Wi. I just plant it (corn) what grows grows, I get seed from Pheasants forever about $15 a bag, Turkey foundation could have seed also.
Deer use corn when it starts growing and then again after it freezes. Crap apple trees are great and tough, don't let the mice girdle them tho[:'(]
RC
Old 04-01-2009, 02:41 PM
Fork Horn

Preen works great on small areas. My mom loves it in her garden.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:08 PM
Typical Buck

Bowman, I dont use chemicals in my sweet corn patch, but its not real large either. If you can till it once every 7 to 10 days until the corn gets waist high, the weeds wont have as much affect on the yield. The corn will shade the ground and deprive the weeds of sunlight.

If I decided to grow a large sweet corn patch, especially for a food plot I would use them. And of course I would try to find the cheapest/generic forms I could find. The chemical in preen is called trifluralin, not sure it comes in generic form, but its a good possibility. Two more that is basically the same thing is surflan and treflan.
Old 04-02-2009, 02:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Alright thanks.. while at the store today getting fertilizer, I noticed they have some of those "Keifer" pear trees you were talking about. I'm thinking about picking a few up tomorrow. They looked healthy but Idont know, I've heardthat sometimes it can be harder to plant older fruit trees, as they are harder to establish compared to younger ones. Is this true with pears as well? These were definitely a few years old.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:34 PM
Typical Buck

I'm assuming they was in a pot. If they are extremely root bound, yes that could give you some trouble. All of the fruit trees that I have planted have been "bare root", so I dont have much experience to draw from. It could be an opportunity to "haggle" them down on price though [8D] If you could get a good deal, it might be worth trying a tree are two, I have planted shrubs that were extremely root bound and they eventually done good. I used a knife to "tease" the roots apart. Not sure about it bowman.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yea, they are in pots. The only trees I've ever planted were root ball, not potted. I may try one or two out,but most likelyjust look for some younger ones.